Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The art on the wall







I took a stroll while in Mexicali and brought my camera along. I walked along the old neighborhood where I grew up for part of my life. While other parts of the city are getting new malls and Walmarts, this part has seen little business growth. The neighborhood looks just like it did 20 years ago, but abandoned establishments and graffiti are more common now.

Even under the economic strain, the area is very vibrant and small businesses sprout everywhere. More importantly, art is everywhere. You see it in the local taco stand or the laundromat. I’m a big fan of the signs for all these businesses.

When I was driving back from Mexicali I stopped at a McDonald’s next to the outlet mall and was put off by the familiarity of it all. Nowhere near where signs of personality in the area.





2 comments:

Gabbi said...

I know what you mean Leo, these small businesses with their painted fronts are truly unique. My favorite is 'La Nueva'...

leopoldo said...

Thanks Gabbi, I like 'La Nueva' as well. It's pretty ironic that it looks run-down like that when it's called 'La Nueva'. Poetic without even trying...