Monday, December 19, 2011
I made the artwork for this mix tape over the summer. My friend Hugo from the event told me that he wanted something animalistic for the cover. Or something like that. He always tells me some of his ideas and I usually take them in another direction. I’ve always been a fan of album art, so it was a treat for me to make this for him. Text is from my typewriter, as usual.
Looking through a vintage children’s book, I encountered this image. I usually take an image and remove it from it’s content. Here I decided to use the text that was right above the image. While I was in class making the shirts, I noticed a visiting student was watching me work attentively while I made these shirts. He came up to me and asked me if I would mind putting that design on the blank shirt he was wearing. It was the best compliment I could receive. Of course he got the design.
I had photocopied the image of this woman and had a number of ideas in my head of how to use her for a design. I went to see The Cure that same week, and after they played Plastic Passion I knew what I had to do. The design was created on the screen and only 7 shirts were made.
Monday, December 5, 2011
I’ve experimenting more with creating designs on the photocopier. I looked through the many clippings I have and found two clippings with the word whore. I decided to create two whore-themed designs. The image is probably from the 60's, the clippings from the 70s.
I made these pins for Fanboy, a ‘party for queers of the geeky persuasion’ in San Francisco. Many things came to mind when creating these pins – comic books, sci-fi, innocence, fantasy, etc. I rarely use images outside of my vintage books and photos, so finding the proper images was a challenge at first. After digging through some children’s books, I started finding images that would apply. I took them to my favorite photocopy place and worked on reducing the images to a size that would work for the pins (never an easy task). Once at home, I played with the small images, manually adding color and the text. It was a very fun project and I was very happy with the final results. These are the first five pins in a series of ten.
I’ve had a late 60’s religious workbook for girls for a while and have always admired the imagery. I decided it was time to use some of the images as designs. I tweaked the size of the images and text on the photocopier, then manually created the designs on the screen before printing.