Wednesday, September 22, 2010

trastorno


My friend Carlos Metropoli asked me to make some pins for the 2nd anniversary of Trastorno, his Spanish Movida night in Los Angeles. He wanted the pins to show images of movida artists such as Alaska y Dinarama, Almodovar, Mcnamara, etc. I wasn’t sure how to accomplish this since I always create my pins using images I cut out from books or magazines. I had no images from such artists to spare. I did, however, have a few Alaska y Dinarama CDs, which had plenty of pictures. Alaska y Dinarama were huge in Spain and Latin America and were one of the most representative bands of the movida.

I decided to photocopy the images from the CDs and reduce them to a size that would allow me to make them fit on a pin. I managed to reduce the images, after many attempts, to a size that would work. I also typed the word ‘trastorno’ using my typewriter, and reduced the text to a size that would fit on the pin. It was a lot of work but in the end I was happy with the result. For me it was important to create them this way, especially since I was dealing with subject matter from the 80s. I wanted to make something that could have been made back then.

www.metropoliforever.blogspot.com

No comments: