Tuesday, September 28, 2010

my loco relatives



I was part of a show with my friends from Local 562 in Whittier, California a few weeks ago. The show was titled Loco Monster, it was a Halloween theme. I thought about it for a few days before making my pieces. When thinking of the images, the thought of monsters or ghouls wasn’t appealing to me. I wanted to do something on the scary side, but without being too obvious. I thought of a 50’s album that I bought a few years ago. A picture of a little girl came to mind. I remembered how when I was little I found some of my relatives to be kind of scary. That’s where My Scary Prima and My Crazy Tia came from.

I’ve been doing a lot of work using the photocopier, so I thought I could apply that to these pieces. I made photocopies of the pictures, enlarging them to fit on my canvas board. I cut the images into four pieces and glued them onto a canvas. I typed the text using my typewriter, then enlarged it using a photocopier and glued it on to the pictures. I then finished the pieces by putting them in a vintage frame. It ended up being a lot of work but in the end I was very satisfied with the result. My Scary Prima and My Crazy Tia feel like they have a life of their own.

No comments: