Friday, August 27, 2010

chicano slang



A couple of weeks ago I was part of a local art show here in Silverlake. I wanted to make something new for the show, but only had a week to prepare. I had just gotten back from my 6-week trip to Spain and Italy. I had been out for while, so I was feeling a bit disconnected. I wanted to make some new pins, something very LA. I decided to use one of my favorite movies as inspiration, ‘Blood In Blood Out’. I really have no idea how many times I’ve seen this movie now, but it never fails to entertain me.

I watched the movie and wrote down words and quotes as they came to me. I was also cutting images from vintage school books. The words I chose had to be short so that they would fit within the pin surface. I later typed out the words on my typewriter and glued them to the images. In the end I came up with 15 pins, using words that are very familiar to many of us who grew up in California. Although the words came from a very violent movie, I think the pins evoke the kind of innocence we all tend to miss.

No comments: